Reusable Shop Towels Program
Q. Why not just use disposable paper wipes?
A. There are many reasons for choosing reusable cotton shop towels instead of paper wipes. One of the most important reasons--that they're better for the environment, protecting the environment for our children and grandchildren-- should be a priority in today's world. Here are just a few more reasons to use reusable cotton shop towels from Coyne:
- Coyne's experience: we pioneered the use of quality reusable cotton towels more than 76 years ago to be efficient and cost effective;
- Coyne leads the industry in environmentally responsible handling of reusable cotton wiping towels, protecting you from environmental liability;
- Reusable cotton shop towels do the work of up to 10 paper wipes, or one pound of rags, costing you less;
- Reusable cotton towels are typically more comfortable to use;
- Coyne's cotton towels reduce housekeeping costs and storage requirement as well as reducing your company's administrative time.
Q. Does it really matter where I get my cotton shop towels?
A. As the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and municipal authorities increasingly scrutinize what companies are doing with their hazardous waste, including tossing out paper wipes, it is more important than ever to consider using reusable products like Coyne's reusable cotton shop towels. Equally important, commercial laundry operations are also under increasing scrutiny. Coyne maintains an active and aggressive compliance program to meet all local, state, and federal regulatory programs including:
- Clean Air Act (CAA)
- Clean Water Act (CSA)
- Resource Conservation & Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA)
- Occupational Safety Health Act, Hazardous Communications Act (OSHA HASCOM)
Q. Aren't cotton shop towels more expensive than paper wipes?
A. Coyne can save you up to 20% on your current rag or paper wipes cost. The fact is, one 100% cotton wiping towel from Coyne is more absorbent and can do the work of up to 10 paper wipes or one pound of rags. More important, using a more efficient and effective cotton towel saves on expensive labor costs: A typical wiping job can take up to twice as much time using paper or rags due to:
- time spent going to and from supply room for more wipes or rags;
- time spent tossing out spent rags and wipes and starting fresh wipers;
- time spent handling disposed of wipers;
- extra time spent wiping with ineffective, inefficient rags and paper wipes
And don't forget the cost of disposal of your rags and paper wipes which, depending on where your business is located, can be substantial.
Q. Aren't paper wipes more convenient to use?
A. For some jobs, paper wipes may be a good choice. For most jobs, particularly where heavy wiping is involved, they actually are create more work and expense. They may seem more convenient because the typical worker makes a single wipe and tosses the rag or paper wiper away and grabs a new one. But the reality is, this can create tremendous waste of both time and wipers. Most companies also forget to calculate the time and cost of handling disposed of wipers, especially the real cost of risk for sending contaminated wipes to landfill.
Q. How does Coyne determine how many cotton towels I will need?
A. Over many years of experience, Coyne uses a very simple, yet accurate formula to determine how many 100% cotton shop towels you will need. Although one Coyne 100% cotton towel can do the work of up to one pound of rags or up to 10 paper wipes, Coyne calculates, depending on the amount of the soil contact, that the average worker will use a conservative five towels to replace one pound of rags or 10 paper wipes. If you find that your needs are greater due to business demands or increased soil, your inventory can easily be adjusted. And, because we're your local supplier, we can deliver more towels on an immediate basis or at your next regularly scheduled delivery date.